Ad Placement is a rotation pool of multiple ads which accepts all ad formats.
To add a Placement click the button and choose the Placement type you need. Alternatively, you can click the corresponding buttons on the side bar:
- Site Placement;
- Non-Standard Placement;
- Mobile Site Placement;
- Video Placement;
- Native Placement.
The Create New Placement pane will be displayed. The set of parameters of the Placement depends on the Placement type. The following items may be specified:
- Name: Custom name for the new Placement.
- Description (optional): Any information regarding the Placement.
- Default Code (optional): In case there is no Banner that would fit a certain user, the Default Code will be displayed. The Impression won't be counted towards Epom Analytics.
- Size: Dimensions of the ad unit for the Placement.
- Flexible Placement Size: This checkbox identifies if the Ad Units (Banners) that are smaller than the Placement size can be linked to the Placement.
- Domain as default channel - is designed to pass referer automatically in the channel string. Instead of window.location it uses top domain. It works only when channel isn't explicitly passed with invocation code (for iframe sync, iframe async, js sync, js async code types).
- Refresh after (seconds) (optional): Recalls the Placement after a given period of time. In this way multiple Banners can be shown (only for the iframe Invocation Codes).
- 3rd Party Network Lookup Limit: This value identifies the maximum number of mobile ad serving networks that will be contacted to serve an ad.
- Video Ad Formats: This value identifies when a Video Placement will be displayed: Pre-roll (before the video); Mid-roll (during the video at a specified time), Post-roll (after the video); Overlay (over the video).
- Vast 3.0 Config: settings for the Skip Ad button behaviour.
Once you fill out the Placement details, click Save. You will be redirected to the Placement card, which contains the following panes:
Depending on the Placement type you are using, there might be several ways to request the ad display from Epom:
- Invocation codes (Iframe Sync, Iframe Async, Simple Iframe, JS Sync, JS Async).
- Direct Ad Serving URL request.
- API request.
The Settings area of this pane allows you to save the Channel or Custom Parameter values. This will allow you to apply the frequently used Channels and/or Parameters as default to the Invocation Codes instead of manually inserting them each time.
This pane displays the priority of the Banners' display with regard to the users' preferences such as Country, Browser, Operating System, or Priority. If there are no filters specified – the banners probability will correspond to the User-Agent parameters: IP/GEO, Browser, OS. With either of the parameters selected from the drop-down filters, only the Banners that match the specified targeting will be selected.
Keep in mind that the Banners linked according to Rules are not displayed in the Banners Probability pane.
Blocking Advertisers, Campaigns, and Banners
Banners Probability pane also allows blocking certain Advertisers, Campaigns, or Banners. To do so, select the entry from the list and choose the blocking method:
- Block Advertiser for the Placement.
- Block Advertiser for the current Site: Add a Pre-targeting on Site level, that blocks the Advertiser.
- Block Advertiser for all Sites: Add a Pre-targeting on all Sites in your network, where the Advertiser was linked, that blocks the Advertiser completely.
- Block Campaign for the Placement.
- Block Campaign for the current Site: Add a Pre-targeting on Site level, that blocks the Campaign.
- Block Campaign for all Sites: Add a Pre-targeting on all Sites in your network, where the Campaign was linked, that blocks the Campaign completely.
- Block Banner for the Placement.
- Block Banner for the current Site: Add a Pre-targeting on Site level, that blocks the Banner.
- Block Banner for all Sites: Add a Pre-targeting on all Sites in your network, where the Banner was linked, that blocks the Banner completely.
Please be cautious when blocking Advertisers, Campaigns, or Banners on All Sites. This will block the Advertiser, Campaign, or Banner on each and every Site in your network where the Advertiser was linked, thus prohibiting any ad serving activity.
As this feature has a network-wide effect, Network Supervisor might want to set the Block Advertiser/Campaign/Banner on Placement, Block Advertiser/Campaign/Banner on Site, and/or Block Advertiser/Campaign/Banner on All Sites permissions to Disabled in the User Roles & Permissions section.
Includes all the Banners connected to the Placement in question.
In this pane you can set the Daisy Chaining or Waterfall Chaining of the banners connected to this Placement.
Placement Capping pane allows setting a limit for the number of Actions, Clicks, and/or Impressions per unique user during a certain period of time. Flat option defines whether the Impressions, Clicks, or Actions should be evenly distributed during the defined timeframe.
This pane displays Advertisers > Campaigns > Banners that can be linked to the Placement manually, and the ones that are linked according to Rules.
- Advertisers, Campaigns and Banners can be filtered by Name, Label and/or Category.
- It is possible to display the Banners that are linked manually or via Rules by selecting the corresponding checkboxes and clicking Filter.
- Click the Advertiser/Campaign/Banner to navigate to the corresponding card.
In this pane you can set the Pricing for the Placement in question.
Placement level Pricing will override the Site level Pricing in case both are set.
In this pane you can set different shares for the Advertiser(s) for this Placement:
If the Fixed Price payment model is set in the Pricing pane, the Revenue Share settings will be neglected.
In this pane you can insert the code for 3rd party tracking for the Placement. More information regarding the Piggyback Pixel tracking is available in the following article.
VAST Events pane available for Video Placements includes available video events: just select the items you need for the current Placement and click Save:
- AD START - Video ad or overlay display started.
- AD FIRST QUARTILE - 25% of the Video ad was viewed.
- AD MID POINT - 50% of the Video ad was viewed.
- AD THIRD QUARTILE - 75% of the Video ad was viewed.
- AD COMPLETE - Video ad or overlay display completed.
- AD PAUSE - Video ad display paused.
- AD RESUME - Video ad display resumed after a pause.
- AD CREATIVE VIEW - a creative element was displayed.
- AD MUTE - Video ad was muted.
- AD UNMUTE - Video ad was unmuted.
- AD FULLSCREEN - Video ad full-screen mode was toggled.
- AD EXIT FULLSCREEN - Video ad full screen was exited.
- AD EXPAND - Video ad was switched to the expanded view mode.
- AD COLLAPSE - User exited the expanded view mode.
- AD SKIP TRACKING - User skipped the Video Ad.
Selected events will be tracked in Epom Analytics if they are selected either for the Placement, or for the linked Video Banner.
3rd Party Tracking
To track Impressions for a Placement with the help of third-party service configure 3rd Party Tracking for Placement.
3rd Party Vast Tracking
To track Impressions, Actions, and/or Events with third-party ad servers, fill in the Tracking URL, choose Tracking Type and click :
Tips and tricks
- You can filter your network's Sites by Share Type and Category using the corresponding drop-down lists:
- You can copy existing Zones to other Sites in a simple way: just drag-n-drop the corresponding item from one Site to another. A confirmation dialog will appear:
- Every Site, Zone and Placement has it's own ID. In case if you need to know the IDs of certain entities, just go to the Preferences tab, select the corresponding checkboxes and click Submit:
Selecting the 'Keep placement(s) linked' checkbox will also clone all the Placements of the Zone along with the linked Banners. Click Copy and enter the number of copies you'd like to make. You will receive a confirmation once all the items are copied.
A re-login might be needed for the changes to take effect.
Updated about 3 years ago